As an independent digital marketing consultant, I provide insights built on more than 12 years in the industry. I specialize in earned traffic, and have limited experience with digital advertising such as PPC and social ads. My experience comes from both in-house and agency-level work, and I’ve worked with startups, small businesses, medium, businesses, and Fortune 500 companies from a variety of industries. However, my most concentrated industry experiences are in recruiting/job-related fields, home improvement, and with B2B companies.
With that in mind, I typically categorize my areas of expertise in the following five categories:
SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
I’m best known as an SEO, and have been working in both technical and content-side SEO throughout my career. I have a strong working knowledge of current best practices and also its history. Some of my more commonly requested services include the following:
- Technical SEO Audit: I provide a deep analysis of your website and provide a variety of SEO recommendations that speak to opportunities and issues, both on- and off-site. I provide results in a spreadsheet format that shows the effort needed to complete the work, the estimated value of the work, a description, and example URL’s where applicable. Scans and results are laid out in a spreadsheet, with the project set up as much as possible to run from there. The results can be presented in video, PDF, of slideshow format, per the client’s preference, and are also presented during a call.
- Dev/IT Oversight/Quality Assurance: As technical SEO results are rolled out, dev teams often do not apply them to best practice. It’s important to have an experienced SEO present to ensure that each improvement and fix are the best choice for future SEO. I take a close look at each change, and an educational and collaborative approach as I work with all teams involved.
- Website Migration Strategy: During website upgrades, rebrandings, and migrations, technical issues and missed opportunities to migrate to SEO best practices can lead to significant, sometimes total losses in organic search traffic. I am comfortable and experienced in working with marketing teams to guide the migration process to ensure that the new launch is best positioned for SEO success.
- Knowledge Graph Building: Whether you’re looking for schema, wiki strategy, Google My Business, or other signals, I can help you maximize your presence on this important and highly visible area.
- Local/International SEO: Whether locally or nationally, being found in location-based search connects you with high-converting traffic by putting you in front of visitors who are at the bottom of the sales funnel and ready to purchase. I can help you align your website with these audiences through technical upgrades and off-site improvements.
Please note: While my work with influencers and bloggers will usually result in links, I do not provide “SEO” link-building services.
I define “Community Strategy” as working with off-site properties and communities of people who are having conversations about your brand. This can include review websites, company profiles, forums, blogs, and article reviews about your company, products, and employees.
Typical services I provide in this category are as follows:
- Influencer Strategy: Influencers build brand awareness, referral traffic sources, and link pathways to your site. I’m experienced in identifying, connecting with, and working with bloggers that can partner with you to power your marketing strategy. Along with researching key bloggers, I take care of all the outreach and relationship building with the influencers, and am available to negotiate pricing and collaborate with them on strategy. I keep track of each account, check in to make sure deliverables are in place, and get tracking in order to ascertain if they’re delivering sufficient value for the services provided. In many cases, I have already-established relationships with a few key bloggers already in place before the project begins.
- Reputation Management: Whether your product is eCommerce, B2B, or something else entirely, your online reputation is a powerful factor in how your business prospers. I can help monitor your presence and provided guided responses that make the best of any situation.
I started off in Digital Marketing as a content strategist, and have created content that’s used on dozens of websites worldwide. My current services focus on research and consultation that informs and guides your content strategy. When content creation is needed, I have excellent referrals I can connect you with, who I’ve worked with on many past projects.
- Answer Box & Keyword Research: As search engines continue to act more like an artificial intelligence and less like simply an algorithm, keyword research is still important — but much less relevant than it once was. Blending keyword research with a strategy that targets questions that people ask Google (i.e. “What’s a Graphic Designer’s annual salary?”) creates a long-term content strategy focused on things your audience wants to know about. As an added bonus, you have a shot at zero-position, enhanced keyword rankings. I can also advise you on how to format your content from a technical perspective to increase its chances for Answer Box placement.
- SEO Content Strategy: Content should generally not be created for SEO purposes only. But in some cases, there may be missed opportunities to create content that addresses a user need that’s being searched for online. I can help you identify searched-for terms and topic areas that provide excellent content opportunities as well.
- Pain/Passion Point Analysis: When it comes to your product or services, let your audience tell you what they care about! I can delve deep into product reviews for you and competitors to find out what people think about your company and product, competing products and companies, related products, and the industry in general. I take a deep dive in your off-site presence to understand what people are saying about your brand in comments, reviews, articles, social media posts, forum messages, and other resources. I compile this, combined with competitor data, to document the pain and passion points of your audience, as well as how the perceive the strengths and weaknesses of your product versus the alternatives. This data can be applied to content strategy, social strategy, influencer marketing, website redesign, or virtually any aspect of marketing.
UX (User Experience) & IA (Information Architecture)
UX and IA – particularly where they apply to mobile compatibility, speed, and a visitor’s ability to understand what’s happening with a website, are an expected standard for visitors at this point, and a powerful SEO signal. Visitors who can intuitively understand how a website works stay on the site longer, convert more often, and are more likely to return. Along with weaving in UX and IA into my other services, I offer these services:
- Site Architecture Consultation: Creating a website that has a clear architecture, minimal duplicate content (generated technically or otherwise), and the proper signals to help visitors and search bots alike understand what your content and organization are about (such as bread crumbs, schema, and content signals) helps a website grow enormously in rankings, indexation, and usability.
- Google Tag Manager Tracking: By tracking user behavior, we can discover how often key actions take place on a site, informing current success, researching future opportunities for change, and comparing the current website to its previous iteration. I have an intermediate level of skill in setting up Google Tag Manager tracking, and have set up tracking for dozens of websites.
CRO (Conversion Rate Optimization)
While UX/IA serves the visitor’s need by making it easier for them to do what they’re trying to do in a better way, CRO’s focus is to guide them to more and better conversions. In some cases, I’ve helped a client increase their online goal completions, sales, and/or lead generations by 50% – 400%.
- On-Site User Pathway Analysis: I evaluate how the website and other digital properties are set up to guide a visitor from first-touch content (such as blog posts) to deeper content (such as white papers) or converting content (such as contact or purchase pages). I work with the team to develop pathways designed to encourage visitors to stay on the site for as long as possible, while optimizing the pathway towards the pages that make you business.
- Goal Tracking Setup: I can help your team identify the goals of the website, as well as certain KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators) such as phone-number clicks, newsletter signups, and other value-adding behaviors, and track them as goals and events on your site. Over time, we can build data-based reports on the CRO progress we’ve made as we go.
- Competitive Analysis: Over the years, I’ve conducted many kinds of competitive analyses, including focusing on digital strategy, SEO, consumer sentiment, design/UX/CRO choices, content strategy, and/or a variety of other factors. Each competitive analysis I create is custom-built to serve my client’s specific needs, and are filled with actionable data and recommendations.
- Google Analytics (GA) Setup: Even perfectly clean Google Analytics data can be a messy prospect, and I’ve never seen an account that couldn’t use at least a little help. When first working with any client, I like to do things like clean up their data from bot traffic and traffic from the company team itself (through IP-address filtering), set up filtered and unfiltered views, connect their GA account with Search Console, and get traffic alerts in place. It’s a fairly quick and methodical job that gets measurements in place, so we know how well we’re doing later on.
- Training: I’m a former English teacher who has conducted many internal team trainings, taught night/weekend courses at colleges, and spoken at two industry conferences. From time to time, I’ve been asked by clients to create training courses on specific topics – most commonly SEO, which my clients always appreciate.